Metal Spinning Process
The lathe, as a turning technique, has evolved thru time. From the lathes to make pottery, wood lathes, machining lathes and metal spinning lathes. The art of the metal spinning is a specialize process use to form round shape parts
The metal spinning technique start from a blank of metal, cut in circle and then turned in a lathe type machine. The blank of the material is then press with tools against a mold taking the form of it producing round shapes such as cones, parabolic shapes, spheres, domes, shells, and any round part.
We can form your parts on our hand metal spinning or on our CNC machine. Our selection on the machine to be use is based on the material thickness, tolerance specify, the diameter of the part, volume and cost.
Here at MetalSpinning.Mx work hard with our clients to select the best process according to their needs.
Design Considerations for Metal Spinning Parts
It is important to talk to our customer support when designing a part to be form on the metal spinning process. Since appropriate tolerance has to be specify on the drawings.
Taking in consideration the process of metal spinning process:
- Specify the inside diameter since it is where the material will be press against the mold.
- Drawings need to mention the start thickness of the material considering that this material thickness will be reduce in the process.
Commonly this reduction will be of a 25% of the start of the material thickness. Also secondary operations, like machining, can be applied if corners radius should be needed to control the material thickness.
- Sharp corners radius should be no less than 2 or 3 times the material thickness. Also secondary operations, like machining, can be applied if needed.
- Specify the surface finish needed.
Advantages of Metal Spinning vs. Other Processes
- Short turnaround on the investment due to tooling methods.
- Flexibility in tooling, depending on volume, tolerance and capability of the part needed.
- Spinning allows the designer and engineer to obtain function and performance as needed. Tolerances can be adjusted as necessary.
- Ease of design changes – especially if changes are dimensionally smaller – since the original tool can be machined as needed.Tooling costs less due to its simplicity. It is machined from steel, tool steel or wood for shorter runs.
- Using the CNC machine allows high volume production, with tight tolerances and consistent repeatability.
- Metal spinning can be combined with other technologies.
- The metal spinning process actually improves the raw material metallurgically by realigning grain structures. Tensile strength can be improved, allowing thinner materials to be used. Part integrity may be better with spinning than with other processes.
- Typically lead times for finished parts are 4 to 6 weeks. This is generally significantly shorter than lead times for jut the stamping tooling.